We love when people use our spirits in their baking and cooking, and no one has done this better than Edmonton’s own, Janelle Sproule (aka @boozybaker_yeg)! We partnered with Janelle to bring you some yummy and festive recipes featuring some of our seasonal spirits!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Hansen’s Peppermint Schnapps
- Red food dye
- 4 ounces chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- 2–3 tablespoons Hansen’s Peppermint Schnapps
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour (or cocoa powder) a 6-mini Bundt pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or with an electric mixer), beat together butter and sugar until well-combined.
- Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in buttermilk until well-combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in on low just until incorporated.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the batter, and place it into a separate bowl.
- Stir cocoa powder and milk into the original batter until well-combined.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of peppermint schnapps and 3 drops of red food dye to batter removed
- Using a ½ cup measuring cup, drop one scoop of chocolate batter into prepared mini bundt pan.
- Using a separate scoop, drop 3 tablespoons of red peppermint batter on top of chocolate batter.
- Drop another ½ cup of the chocolate batter.
- Add the remaining peppermint batter to the top, about 1 tablespoon each.
- Give the pan a couple of taps to level out the batter, if necessary.
- With a toothpick, gently swirl the batter together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto wire rack, and cool completely.
- With a serrated knife, cut a small amount of the bottom of the cake off to level.
For Chocolate Glaze:
- Bring heavy cream to a simmer on the stove top, stirring occasionally. Just as soon as you see a simmer, remove from heat and pour over chocolate, swirling the bowl to make sure all chips are covered.
- Add in peppermint schnapps, stir to fully incorporate.
- Place into piping bag, cut a small hole and drizzle over the cooled cakes.
- Top with crushed candy cane.
Makes 6 mini bundt cakes