Calling all Edmonton Oilers fans – hockey is back in town! And for the foodies among us, it’s time to dig into some delicious game day food. Feed those hungry Copper and Blue fans as you cheer on McDavid and the boys during the 2018-2019 season opener against the New Jersey Devils in Sweden, 11a.m. this Saturday, Oct 6.
Nothing gets a crowd going like mouthwatering pulled pork with a bit of booze! This slow cooker dish is a win for any game day get-together, easily prepared the night before and ready for halftime. We took a basic pulled pork recipe and kicked it up a notch by adding in our Cherry Rye, sweetly complimenting the pork made with our lucky Hansen spirit Border Crossing Rye mixed with local sour and B.C. cherries.
- 1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
- ¼ Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (to preference)
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ounces of Hansen Distillery’s Cherry Rye
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles of your favourite BBQ Sauce
- Dice onion and garlic and add half into the slow cooker.
- Season the pork on all sides with salt, pepper, and onion powder and place into slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining onion and garlic over top. Add in water, broth, and 2 ounces of the Cherry Rye.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 5-8 hours or until the meat is very tender. Once done, remove the pork and shred using two forks. Strain the liquid from the slow cooker, keep ½ a cup of cooking liquid to add back in.
- Add the shredded pork back into the slow cooker with the cooking liquid and the last ounce of Cherry Rye. Add in the BBQ sauce to your preferred sauciness, it’s always a good idea to serve some sauce on the side for your guests.
- Stir and let cook for another 1 to 2 hours until the pork has absorbed all the liquid.
Serve on warm buns with coleslaw or as taco filling. Be sure to share your game day recipes featuring Hansen Distillery products on Instagram @HansenDistillery.
Go Oilers Go!